Thursday, February 21, 2013

Showing Off, Again

I mostly focus on funny kid stories here. Oddly enough my one random blog post about showing off some of my DIY projects has been my most popular post and has gotten four times the average number of hits of my other posts (if you missed it see the original post here). It's now even surpassed the ever popular Tricks I Play On The Husband post. So, back by popular demand is more showing off!



I had been looking for something else to hang over the couch, and I couldn't find exactly what I had in mind. My mind wanted a simple shelf that was inspired by an old mantle, but not something that could be found at any corner Pottery Barn. I wanted something that looked worn and loved. Then there was the framed pictures I'd taken around town that spelled out our last name to contend with. I needed something that would fit the space and style of that too. One Sunday I'd had enough and headed out to the shed on a mission. I started with a few scraps of lumber and added a piece of trim and spray paint from Lowe's. The Husband's been a little paranoid since our BFF Drew cut off four of his fingers on a table saw, so he insisted on helping me with the power tools. This is what we came up with:





This picture makes it look like we live in a yellow submarine. We aren't so yellow, but you get the idea. 


Plus, I needed some way to display my kid's one year portraits that we paid a small fortune for (I keep telling myself I'll be so glad when he's 12 and a punk). We bought frames, but that didn't look good. I didn't like the foam board behind glass. So I pulled some old wainscoating from the shed, cut it, and painted it white, then distressed it and added the pictures on top.







I like the whole scheme.




And at work..........

I created a little puppet theatre for our play therapy room out of an old, cheap armoir from the thrift store. I turned it backwards, pulled off the back, added paint, curtains, and pegs, and voila!







I was moving offices at work and was eager to be able to have a space in which to nest. I got this desk at my local habitat reStore for $20. I think it was originally a vanity. The top two shelves were damaged, so I took them off along with the middle piece they were attached to. Then I spray painted it blue and put the original hardware back on. I did add new knobs for the drawers.


Looks completely different, doesn't it?


I picked up a vintage arm chair at Junk in the Trunk for $50, minus 10% for asking nicely.


I LOVE the combination of the blue desk with the funky chair with blue accents. I'll do another post of my office reveal once I find just the right piece to hang on the wall. The Husband has had enough of my projects for now.




No comments:

Post a Comment