Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Twas The Night Before Christmas

Twas the night before Christmas and all through the home
No one was ready, they wouldn't come on
We were going to one gathering of many
We'd come home later to get ready for Santy

The stockings were hung by the chimney with wine
I know, I had to put them back fourteen times
Cookies for Santa were likely hard as a rock
The Boy put them out this morning before 8 o'clock

The living room looked like this for exactly seven minutes. 

Some ornaments had broken, we put the best at the top
Got everything ready for Santa to stop
The nativity scene was also set out with cheer
This year it featured Woody and Buzz Lightyear


In the course of a week we'd been all over the state
The boys had been up too early, stayed up too late
On Griffin, on Auburn, on Winder, and Rome
All of these festivities, and more at our home


More cousins and playing and putting on shows
They didn't want to leave but that's how it goes
More eating and presents and load up the truck
They'll nap on the way if we have any luck




I'd eaten until I was full as a tick
My tummy pooched out and I looked like St. Nick
The Boy didn't want dinner, just played every night
A peanut butter cup counts as a protein, right?

And the gifts! They kept coming for both of the boys
Ornaments and rattles and baby boy toys
Superheroes and pirates, coins for The Boy's bank
Opened too fast for us to know who to thank

Fast forward to bedtime on Christmas Eve night
We'd had lots of fun, we'd done it up right
How cute is this Santa with his little bald head?
Both of the boys we tucked into bed


Then me in my yoga pants and dad in his tee
Settled in to finally catch some zzzzs
Woke up to feed baby sometime around two
Realized we forgot to put out the reindeer food

In the dark and the cold I crept out on the lawn
$%& glitter and oats better be gone come the dawn
I can't be certain but I'd be willing to guess
That Santa Claus likes consignment sales best

Christmas pajamas keeping him warm,
The Boy came down the steps in the light of the morn
At our house Santa usually doesn't do a lot
But The Boy called out "come look what I got!"

And that smile, the excitement, the wonder and awe
Were enough to make even the Grinch drop his jaw
Despite the travel, the family drama, the gift wrapping mess
That Christmas morning moment is worth every stress


Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse? 
We're wearing Spider-man skates in the house
Quickly we were back to the chaos and noise
But I'm so thankful for Christmas with my boys




1 comment: