Monday, September 28, 2015

Little House on The Prairie

The Husband left on Wednesday for two weeks of work in Arkansas. That's the price we pay for him working from home the rest of the time. It's worth it, I remind myself. And we have school and church and FaceTime and PBS and play dates to keep us sane. I am grateful for all these, but when I start to throw a pity party I feel a little like we're Little House on the Prairie* and Pa has gone west to look for gold or drive cattle, or other things Pas go west for.
*The book, not the terrible tv show.

Wednesday, September 23rd- Pa left before sunrise this morning headed west. He'll send word when he's arrived at his destination. Me and the boys will miss him something fierce, but we're charged with taking care of the farm until he returns. I took the boys into town for their schoolin, and returned to get them when I was done with work. We're thankful to have my mama nearby to help. The first day was a success.




Thursday, September 24th- Pa sent word that he'd made it all the way to Arkansas. The eldest boy went to learn in the woods for hours with friends. When he came back, he reported he'd learned a new word: "butt hole". He later remembered the word as "whole butt". Katherine came over to keep the boys while I worked, and the baby hardly slept any all day. The boy said he cried a good deal of the afternoon. My daddy and stepmom were planning to have the eldest over to his house for a spell, but my daddy accidentally drank some paint thinner that someone had poured into a water bottle, and he had fallen ill and had to be seen by a doctor. Those that were with him said he was acting as though he'd taken to the bottle. We're thankful he's better now.



Friday, September 25th- First thing in the morning The Boy fell out of his chair and hit his head on the hard wooden floor. He cried for his Pa, but I was the only one here to tend to him. I got the boys ready for their weekly bath, and found a tick on the eldest. Then the baby pooped in the tub and everybody had to get out. I sent the eldest down to the neighbor's to fetch some rubbing alcohol to smother the tick with. The Boy was right scaired, but he was brave, and we got the tick off. This was all before 8:00am. The boys went back to school for their learning while I went to work again. We have settled into a nice routine. They go to bed at nightfall, and I finish chores and go to bed soon after.



Saturday, September 26th- Our friend Heather came over with her two boys, and we worked all morning putting up food for the winter. In the afternoon my daddy came to fetch the boys and have them stay with him for the night. I went to the general store to pick up some necessities, and had half a mind to stop at the saloon but did not. When I got home my old friend Netflix dropped in to tell me some stories while I finished chores. I slept as soundly as I ever have.

Sunday, September 27th- I didn't go to church this morning, on account of the boys being gone. I rested up so I would have energy for the rest of the week. When the boys came back home, we ate lunch and rested, then got some fresh air outside. I scolded the boys for playing too rough. Our friend Maura's husband has gone west too. We were going to get together, but she sent word that her Freddie has taken a fever. We pray godspeed for his recovery, and she'll send word again when he's feeling better.


Monday, September 28th- The eldest returned to town for learning again today, and it's a good thing because the long rainy days are good for the crops, but they are wearing on us. We got a letter from Pa saying he is doing well. He says he is working hard, but he leaves out the part where he is resting well and eating good food so that I do not become bitter. Pa is a smart man. Even though this feels like The Long(est) Winter we're happy to know he'll be home within the fortnight.








No comments:

Post a Comment