Thursday, February 2, 2012

Happy Groundhog Day

Happy Groundhog Day, the day we all anxiously await TBS reruns of Bill Murray manipulating Andi McDowell over and over. Here's my little groundhog. Okay, that's a bear suit but I think it serves its purpose.


Right after this little Precious Moments photo shoot outside (where I put my child in the wet grass; note the moss stuck to his outfit) he ate his first leaf. Ahh, milestones. Luckily I was right there beside him to rescue him from any potential harm document the adventure. 


We have been trying to let him "cry it out" at night this week. Every cell in my brain that has studied child development is against it, but every cell in my body that is exhausted and needs sleep is for it. The parts of me get in heated debates over the merits of both sides, they weigh the pros and cons, they take out derogatory ads against each other on national TV. Ultimately we decided it was best for everyone in the house if everyone got more sleep. We still give him a bottle in the middle of the night (see the previous post re: dwarfism) but we're letting him cry himself to sleep. The first night he cried 15 minutes before The Husband went and rescued him. The second night we put on our game faces and let him cry for an hour before he fell asleep. MISERABLE, The Husband and I, that is. And The Boy too. I felt bad for him, and all that crying gets to you after a while. Imagine someone scraping their fingernails down a chalkboard for an hour, and that chalkboard is the fruit of your loins, and you could stop it all in a matter of minutes. Last night and tonight it only lasted 30 minutes, so I'm counting that as progress. Allegedly we only have to do this another few nights before he catches on and learns to self soothe. We are hoping this ground hog did NOT see his shadow, which means 6 more weeks of sleeping through the night. 

3 comments:

  1. Leigh Ellen - You are hilarious and I am so glad you are blogging. Your post re: the 'Mikas totally took me wayyyy back to CES days. Consider yourself stalked by me via Google Reader now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad you enjoyed. Do you remember the 'Mikas? Scarred.

      Delete
  2. How is this going? Progress?

    ReplyDelete