Monday, June 23, 2014

Plenty of Fish in the Sea

Scoot the beta fish died while The Boy and I were out of town a few weeks ago. He was on his last leg fin before we left, and wasn't acting like himself. While we were gone the Husband texted me "Scoot died for real this time."

This is the third Scoot that has crossed over into the Great Sea Beyond. Each time we've just quietly replaced him with a new Scoot and haven't mentioned it. The Boy didn't even get suspicious when Scoot 2 appeared with new brightly colored rocks and he was a little more red than purple. This time I thought surely it was time to finally discuss death. I figured the loss of a fish was a good, non-threatening place to start.

So, when we got back we sat The Boy on the counter and reminded him that Scoot had been sick and told him that Scoot died while we were gone. He looked serious, hugged my neck and said "that makes us SO SAD." Oh bless him. At the mention of sadness, The Husband interjected with "BUT, buddy, we can go to the store and you can pick out a NEW FISH!"

The Boy was intrigued. After his 15 seconds of grief he announced "I want an orange one and I wanna name it Dowffy (Dorothy) like Elmo's!" Easy come, easy go. Obviously death was not nearly as touchy as we expected.

So today we went to the pet store, The Boy went up to the counter and said to the cashier "can I have an orange fish pwease?" She sent for a fish guy, who scooped out the first orange fish he could grab. Turns out goldfish cost a quarter each, so I told him we could spring for two. That's how we roll. He asked why the fish guy put them in a bag, to which the fish guy responded "you can't carry a fish home in your hand." So there.

We paid for the fish and took them home. I told The Boy he could name them anything he wanted. So now we have two gold fish: poo poo and tee tee.

1 comment:

  1. lol. i love reading your blog at the end of a long day. gives me so much to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete