Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Poop and pets

You might want to skip today's post if you have a weak stomach or don't like poop stories.

We use cloth diapers, and sometimes disposables too. Insert judgement here. Just so you know, it's not the old school cloth diapers with the pins and the folding. Now they look just like disposables with snaps or velcro, and you toss the whole thing in the washer. No, it's not gross.
SUPER LITE - Bummis-SUPER LITE, Bummis, wrap, prefold, cloth diaper,

The other day I was changing a dirty diaper, and I was carrying The Boy and the diaper to the bathroom to dump the poop in the toilet. Basically you just open the diaper back up and it falls out (he has pretty compact poops) and you flush it away and wash the diaper. So that's where we were in the process when I heard a thud. I looked down and the poop had fallen out prematurely. In the floor. Of his room. "Yuck" I said to The Boy, as I turned around to get some wipes to pick up the poop with.

While I was gathering the wipes I heard Prissy take off running. We have hardwoods, so when she gets excited she's like a cartoon character that can't get traction and runs in place before she gets anywhere. And when she's in trouble she does double time. So when I heard her doing the Charleston I knew she was up to something. I peeked my head around the corner but she was gone. One thing at a time, I turned my attention back to the poop. It was gone. My child's poop that was in the floor 45 seconds ago was now gone, and my dog was running like she was in trouble. "PRISSY!!" I shouted! The Boy, still in my arms, grinned. He loves an adventure.

I ran (as fast as one can run with an 8 month old in your arms while trying to avoid stepping in former poop spot) to the kitchen and saw the dog door still swinging. I looked out the window, and there she was, in her treasure spot in the yard, licking her lips as she ate the last of my baby's poop. I threw up in my mouth a little. The Boy laughed.

There was really nothing I could do. Since we've started our parenting journey I have noted time and again how little control I have over anything that happens. I am mostly okay with that, but when pets starting eating people poop you really have to acknowledge that there ain't a dang thing you can do. I cleaned up the floor where the poop had been, put the diaper in the diaper pail, and with a prayer to the patron saint of sanitation I poured a splash of mouthwash in Prissy's water bowl. I may not be providing my child with the cleanest home, or my pet with the best in nutrition, but it's nothing if not an adventure.

1 comment:

  1. back when I used to babysit for a family something VERY similar happened...this makes me feel a little better. Although, the kid was potty training and had pooped in his pants...then the dog ate it. Then his mother told me a few days later he tried to eat his own poop...cute huh?

    ReplyDelete